Monday, March 22, 2004

My Sugar Cat

I have a 10 year old black cat, Rishi, who has been a best friend of mine for awhile. I paid $18 for him when I was a poor college student (I got a discount with my student ID). He was just a kitten then. He went with me from
apartment to aparment, and finally we ended up in a house. We went through a lot together. Last fall he lost several pounds, and upon visiting the vet, we found out that he was diabetic. We've been giving him shots twice a day ever since. Before the shots, he was very lethargic. He just stayed under the dining room table when he wasn't drinking water or eating. He ate TONS of food and never got full yet he continued to lose weight. I thought that poking my cat with a needle twice a day would be hard to do, but I got used to it. After we started the shots, I heard him playing and running upstairs. That was such a good feeling! He's been back to his normal, crazy self since the insulin became a part of his daily routine. He is such a smart kitty. He takes his shots with no complaint and even reminds us sometimes when it's overdue. I think he knows that it makes him feel better. I hope he will be with me for many years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment