Friday, July 08, 2005

My Love/Hate Relationship With eBay

I have a somewhat expensive hobby of collecting Barbies. I believe I have somewhere between 75 and 100 Barbies still in their boxes. They take up space that we really don't have (our 80's house has very small closets and no basement, so they sit in boxes and tubs in our spare bedroom), but that doesn't stop me from buying them.

When Mattel discontinued the old line of "Dolls of the World" and replaced it with the "Princess Dolls of the World" line, I didn't think I would buy them. I knew there would be an endless stream of these dolls, given the number of countries in the world. Well, by the time the third doll came out, Princess of the Incas -- did the Incas really have royalty? Anyway... I bought it. Since then, I have purchased every single princess Barbie. I missed the first two though, and I've been patiently waiting for the prices to come down on eBay. Each princess doll is $20 in the store, but the first two are currently selling from $50 and up on eBay. That's a little better than the original eBay going price, which was over $100.

I love eBay because I can find Barbies that I probably wouldn't normally be able to get, such as Peaches 'N Cream Barbie. She is from the early 80's. Mine was stolen by my babysitter the day after Christmas, and I never got it back, so I bought one on eBay. It helped to relieve the bitterness I had about that situation...

The thing I hate about eBay is that it floods the market with items that are supposed to be rare. Great for the buyer, bad for the seller. I have tried to sell a few Barbies on eBay, but all of my auctions failed. I refuse to sell an item for less than what I paid. I was shocked that the first two princess Barbies were going for so much. They will come down eventually. Then it will be another 20 years or more until they will be worth anything. Thanks to eBay, Barbies must obtain vintage status before you can get anything for them. That is, unless you can find that one rare opportunity where everyone missed out on the first item in a series and sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment