Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Hummingbirds and The Bees

I don't know how "the birds and the bees" became the synonym for the sex talk that most parents have with their kids at some point. Given the subject it's referring to, you'd think that birds and bees would actually get along, but they don't.

My mom gave me a hummingbird feeder, and I followed her instructions of mixing 1 part sugar with 4 parts water in a pan and bringing it to a boil on the stove. Well, not only am I feeding hummingbirds, but there seems to be a large bee population gathered at the feeder. When a hummingbird flies up to get a drink of sugar water, the bees actually chase it away! I've witnessed hummingbirds and bees fighting at the feeder. So much for birds and bees living in harmony.

No comments:

Post a Comment