Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Fried Chicken For My Valentine

It's no secret that Valentine's Day puts a lot of pressure on people, singles and couples alike. Single people feel crappy because they may not have a love interest, or if they do, they have to figure out what level the relationship is on in order to pick the appropriate card and gift... you don't want to go too sappy and scare your potential mate away, but if you don't get a card that's on the appropriate level of sappiness, the other person may feel let down. Couples feel pressured into spending an insane amount of money on jewelry, flowers, dinners, lingerie, and whatever else might ignite the dying flames of passion. I'd say singles definitely have a harder situation on their hands.

I get really irritated with all of the jewelry commercials this time of year. They make women seem so shallow. Yes, some of them are, but I am not one of them! I know a couple of women who expected huge rocks from their sweethearts before they would walk down the aisle. I married my husband with no proposal and no rock. That really baffles the women who have such sparkling expectations. Does that one carat princess cut stone in a platinum band really prove his love for you? No! In fact, it will just make him resent you if he is forced into spending 3 months (or more) salary on something you will wear on your finger, especially when he could have spent that money on a plasma TV. Most women I know just want the basics... respect, someone to have fun with, and someone to talk to.

James gave me a diamond when I least expected it, after we were married. He bought it on his own volition, without the pressures of Valentine's Day or a controlling woman breathing down his neck.

For Valentine's Day this year, he gave me a miniature rose that I can plant in the spring and a CD. I gave him some candy and a homemade meal of fried chicken and mashed potatoes. We drank an entire bottle of champagne. We had a great time with no pressure and no crazy expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment