Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Living with Cancer

I've had metastatic pheochromocytoma for 5 years. I've been on chemotherapy for a year and eight months now. I have found it challenging to know what to eat/drink while living with this disease because there are differing opinions on everything. I thought I'd share some of my eating practices. I'd love to hear from others who have tips.

  • Drink white tea with honey - White tea has more antioxidants than green tea. So that you do not kill off the antioxidants, let boiling water cool down for a minute before you put your tea in it. Honey can help boost your immune system.
  • Limit red meat - Eat more fish. This is one where I have room for improvement.
  • Limit dairy products - Dairy products can cause inflammation. I can't give up cheese, but I avoid milk, except when I get an occasional craving for it.
  • Drink coffee - Yes, I drink coffee and no, I will not stop. Even though people say I should get off of caffeine, I won't do it. Coffee has been shown to slow memory loss.
  • Drink red wine - Antioxidant power! Plus you've got to indulge yourself once in awhile.
  • Eat dark chocolate - I buy the 80% kind, which doesn't taste very good, but the higher the cacao percentage, the more anti-oxidants are in it. I eat one square per day. Milk chocolate cannot be substituted... it's just a lot of fat and sugar. Dark chocolate also helps dilate blood vessels and can lower blood pressure.
  • Use cinnamon - I try to use a little every day. It helps regulate blood sugar.
  • Eat Indian food - Turmeric can alleviate inflammation, and it's found in many Indian dishes.
  • Avoid soy - This is difficult because soybean oil is in everything. I avoid it as much as possible. Soy contains plant estrogens, which are not good for some cancers, especially some forms of breast cancer. Most of the soy in this country is genetically modified and treated with herbicides, which is another reason to avoid it.
  • Avoid high fructose corn syrup - Studies have shown that cancer cells thrive on glucose. It's best to avoid sugar in most forms, but it's highly difficult for me. All I can do is try.
  • Avoid artificial sweeteners - I used to drink Diet Coke every day. I finally broke myself of the habit. I don't know if aspartame has any relation to my current health status, but it can't hurt to avoid it. You have to check labels... it's hidden in many foods. If I have something sweet, I go for real sugar.
  • Take vitamins - I take B6 to boost my red blood cells, a multivitamin, extra vitamin C, and a calcium chew with vitamin D every day.
  • Eat fresh, organic produce - Try to avoid pesticides and herbicides. Steam vegetables so that you don't cook away their nutrients.
  • Eat broccoli - Broccoli contains cancer fighting compounds.
  • Eat garlic - It has antibacterial properties, may lower cholesterol, and wards off mosquitoes.
  • Use olive oil - It doesn't work for baking, but I use it as much as I can when I cook.
  • Drink water - This is actually one of the hardest items for me. I don't drink enough water partly because I can't put the coffee mug down. Well, there is water in coffee, right?
My last tip does not involve food, but it's important. I've been taking mud baths on a regular basis. They are relaxing, and the type of mud bath I take is high in humic acid. Humic acid will boost the immune system, help the body become more alkaline, relieve pain, and rejuvenate the skin. I have not been using these baths very long, but I have already noticed a difference in my skin. I highly recommend these baths! Golden Moor Mud Baths

2 comments:

  1. It must be blogging day. I updated mine today too. So it looks like from your posts you have the munchies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always hungry... I think it's the steroids they give me with chemo...

    ReplyDelete