Monday, May 29, 2006

The Da Vinci Controversy

I was giving my daughter a bath recently, and I turned on the radio for a little bathtime music. The radio doesn't pick up many stations, and as I was flipping through, I heard someone talking about The Da Vinci Code. I stopped and listened, and it turned out to be a panel of priests (or other such people of "credibility" in the Catholic church) talking about the controversy surrounding the book and movie.

Some of the comments I heard (over splashing water and squeals of delight) were that people are questioning whether or not The Da Vinci Code is true, and the movie should be boycotted by Christians because it hurts the Catholic church's image (by the way, for the two people out there who haven't read it, the main premise is that Jesus was married to Mary Magdelene and they had a child, and the Catholic church has been keeping it a secret for centuries).

The thing that struck me as silly is that these people are worried about a fictional story making them look bad... uh, hello? It can't be any more humiliating than the large number of child molesting priests that have turned up. They also spent a great deal of time discussing their "proof" that Jesus was never married, and I had to ask myself... so what if he was? What does that really change? If anything, I think it would mean that Jesus was a living example of the thing he was always talking about: love. I mean, if he were a fisherman and a carpenter (aside from his "divine duties"), why is it so hard to believe that he could have been a husband and a father?

I have read the book, and I've seen the movie. I thought it was a good movie and a good representation of the book. People should take it for what it is: a fictional adventure story.

No comments:

Post a Comment