Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Another Chapter Ends

Tess is done nursing! I didn't plan it... in fact, the last time she nursed I didn't know it would be the last time. I nursed her Friday morning, before I went to the hospital to do a cardio test. At the hospital, they injected me with radiation so that they could photograph my heart. I had no idea going in that they would do that, but because of the radiation, I could not nurse Tess for at least 36 hours. They also told me to try to stay 4-6 feet away from her for that time. So, I figured with the three day weekend and the fact that I couldn't nurse her anyway, it might be a good time to stop.

Tess was a little cranky on Saturday and Sunday, but it was hard to tell if it was because she didn't get to nurse or for some other reason. She was in a very good mood on Monday, so I am now proclaiming her officially weaned.

I think it's harder on me than it is on her because I'm still producing. Until everything dries up it's a little uncomfortable. I cried a little on Saturday night as I rocked her to sleep, because I will miss the closeness that nursing brings. I won't miss the accidental biting or the times when she would keep hanging on even though there wasn't a drop left. I couldn't pry her off of there for anything.

It was all worth it, and I'm proud of myself for sticking with it for 16 months. I would do it all again, and in fact, I probably will when we have another baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment